The future of your child is important to us. In fact the mission of the school district specifically states, "Each student will graduate prepared to lead a rewarding, responsible life as a contributing member of our community and greater society." That means that it is our responsibility to insure that your child is:
- Prepared for college
- Prepared for the global workplace
- Prepared for personal success
Lake Washington School District has worked intentionally to create what is called a "High School and Beyond Plan" to do exactly that. After careful investigation, consultation and study we have chosen to use a program called Career Cruising to help meet this goal. As such, every student in our school will begin to be engaged in that process. The Career Cruising model actually starts with students in the middle school and adds on lessons, activities and assessments every year right up to and through graduation. We'd like to take a moment to share some of the components of the plan and let you know how we'll continue to communicate with you throughout this process.
Components of Career Cruising
- Creation of Plans. Each student will create a portfolio called "My Plan" where all their assessments, activities, discoveries and work is saved. This plan is personal, fluid and rich in scope.
- Assessments. As part of Career Cruising, students will have the ability to access world class assessments that will help them to identify careers and areas of study that compliment and support both their interests and skills.
- Detailed Career Information. The program gives students the ability to explore hundreds of careers in great depth. They can access multimedia career profiles and research all facets of specific careers.
- College (Post High School) Educational Planning. The program includes a rich college planning tool that allows students to study post-secondary schools across the country. Adapted from the US Department of Education, the College Planning Timeline is designed to help the student prepare for college. The timeline is organized by grade, so you have a chronological, step-by-step plan to help ease the transition from high school to college. (can include 4 year, two year, certificate or military programs)
- Financial Aid Exploration. This section of Career Cruising offers a financial aid database which includes details on thousands of private scholarships, grants, awards, fellowships, and other assistance programs that can help students pay for their education.
- Employment Readiness. The three main components of this section of Career Cruising include an employment guide, a job search tool and a resume builder. These features assist students in applying the information that they have amassed in their plan to practical and meaningful work searches.
- Classroom Resources. Beginning in 8th grade, each student will complete the activities designed for their grade level to work systematically through the Career Cruising Plan. Teachers and advisors will be guiding your students through these processes.
- Parent Portal. You'll be part of this process! Very soon we will be inviting you to join this team through access of the Parent Portal. You'll be able to view your child's plan, add comments and explore the richness of Career Cruising yourself.
As a district, we're excited about the potential that Career Cruising can have for all of our students as we strive towards our mission and goals. Your child will have a career cruising advisor who will be communicating with you on a regular basis as we begin this adventure. They can update you on progress, lessons and activities. We look forward to partnering with you!
College and Career Counselor
International Community School