Academic Support

Online Courses and Credit Recovery


All students starting with the 2019 graduation are in need of 24 credits for graduation. Minimally this means passing 6 classes per year in high school at ICS (9th-12th). In many cases throughout high school, students may struggle in courses and receive an NC. To reach a minimum of 24 credits, students will need to make-up classes using credit recovery methods to be able to meet the 24 credit requirement. Below we will give you a little information on our credit recovery process and methods so that we can easily help transition your students if they need to make-up courses.



Summer School

The Lake Washington School District offers an annual summer school opportunity where students can retake specific academic courses. This is an in-class opportunity for credit recovery and revolves around very specific classes, dates, and times each summer at a cost. This opportunity usually is about 4 weeks long during July. Please see your school counselor in May to learn about the summer school option. Summer school classes are automatically added to the student's high school transcript upon completion.



Students can sign-up and pay for classes that match the course they did not pass and complete the course independently from ICS. The district has a variety of approved online programs linked lower on the page. Students who prefer an online option will need to meet with their academic school counselor to submit paperwork to have the class added to their high school transcript. Once an online class is completed, students will submit final transcripts from the online program to their academic counselor. All online classes for transcript addition will need to be completed and submitted by May 15th of students senior year.

The form required for students to transfer online classes onto their transcript is known as Appendix C: Request for Acceptance Out of District Credit. Students are allowed to add up to 3.0 credits of online classes to their transcripts. To add a class, students must first collect the Appendix C form, fill it out, and return it to their school counselor to submit to the principal for approval. Once approved, the student can begin the course. Forms can be found in the student services hallway.

ICS logo


Students may be able to retake specific semesters of failed classes during their normal school day as one of their class periods. This option can only be used if they have a free period in their day to fit in the make-up class and that it matches up with when the class is offered.

Semesters need to made up during the same semester they were originally taken in. I.e. semester 1 during semester 1, semester 2 during semester 2.

Please see your academic counselor to explore this option.

Frequently-Asked Questions

What online program would work best to make-up or obtain credits?

There are many online course providers available for students in Washington State. Students can explore which online program would fit their needs and then submit an Appendix C form (see above) for approval of the program and course.

Where do I find a list of online programs that are approved?

The Lake Washington School District has a list of approved online programs linked to their website. You can find the link below.

Can my student take an online class instead of the one offered at ICS?

Students who opt-in and choose to come to ICS must follow our program and curriculum as is. Students cannot take an online course in place of a course we already offer here. Students are required to try our courses first before seeking outside options.

Can my student take an online course to skip a level? For example in math or foreign language?

Although we do not encourage skipping ahead, it is allowed. Work with your school counselor to decide if this option makes sense in your individual situation.

If I choose an online program that is approved by the district, do I still need to fill out the Appendix C form to have it put on my transcript?

Yes, all online courses have to be approved also through your school's administrator.

Can I use a different online program than the ones on the district-approved list?

Possibly. All approvals need to go through your school's administrator. Programs can be approved as an accredited educational option if they fit a specific outlined framework set out by the school district. Students can find out if a program is approved by submitting the Appendix C form (see above), found in your student services hallway.

District Approved Course Providers

State online learning approved course providers

Appendix C: Request for Acceptance Out of District Credit